You Will Forget

Monday, August 18, 2014

One of the biggest travel mistakes I make is assuming I will never forget a particular moment. From my first plane ride to a foreign territory, to boarding that inflated interior tire in the Nam Song river, to losing our way back to the retreat house in Kep, and the relief of finding it before midnight, and all other memories- big or small, simple or epic.

We are a couple who have been traveling in the Philippines and in Asia since 2010. We've taken a lot of good photos and they are all sorted up in a directory in our computer. I sometimes spend a whole day by just looking at these photos, only to realize I've already forgotten the restaurant where we had the best popsicle ice cream, the interesting name of a little girl who randomly gave me a bracelet in Angkor Wat, the feels of riding a plane that's larger than an Airbus A320. 

I don't keep travel diaries.

I would love to write but I just don't want the pressure of needing to write for others. I would love to take photos but I don't want the pressure of criticism. I am too lazy for change and what life is outside the circumference of my comfort zone does not seem to excite me. I would love to make friends but I cannot sustain conversations. All of these can be anxiety or something else. One thing is certain though, travel is my second priority, living being the first.

I don't have to travel. But if I didn't, I wouldn't be very happy.

However, as time goes on, I realize I want to transmit the life I have lived, and the life my loves have lived. I will write because I have something to say. I will write to caption more photographs even though my imagery is trite, my metaphors weak. This is the beginning, the takeoff. Because now I have this need of feeling that everyone of us who travels is in an essential relationship to the world.

Our ideas are immortal but our memories are not. We might forget a particular moment, but if we are able to share it, others may continue to relive it.


In great joy of a new leisure pursuit,
Twosome Travelogue

Backpacking in Asia


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe